Skip to main content
George Megalogenis in last Saturday's Weekend Australian:

'Today, every Australian should have a decent restaurant within walking distance of their home.'

Nice idea, George, grammar aside. But within walking distance of every Australian's home? I know people whose front gate isn't within walking distance. I know people who have to take a packed lunch to collect the mail. I have a friend in New South Wales who drives a two-hour round trip to visit the nearest shop. I can't see Neil Perry opening a Rockpool Grill in his driveway. Although my friend would be quite pleased if he did.

Which raises the question: of the restaurants within walking distance to most people, due to the sheer numbers of their outlets - McDonalds and KFC etc (if they can be called restaurants) - why do people almost never walk to them?

Comments