Skip to main content

The trouble with coriander ...

... is that it grows like wildfire and then turns to seed, unless I'm doing something wrong.

So I pulled out the plants, picked off the remaining green leaves and cut them up finely - it yielded about a cupful.

Then I placed them a bowl with 125g of butter and a finely chopped chili, beat it all up, rolled it up in foil and threw it into the fridge to harden.

Ever tried baked, halved sweet potatoes with pucks of coriander butter sitting on top and melting over the sides? Delicious.

Comments

  1. Thats a great idea, my corriander seems to do the same thing & never lasts long before going to seed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ange, apparently you can freeze it in iceblocks and use it later, but I kept getting coriander in my gin and tonics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the summer, coriander comes up sweet in a week or so and can't wait to go to flower (and seed etc.) So I grow it in pots and have about four crops a season.I always let one or two plants go through to seed in each pot to keep a seed base going and after it dries, collect the seed for future crops. Sounds like a bit of trouble probably,but I also grow five or seven types of chilli in pots and sweet and Thai basil as well. I have a garden, but the pots work well for herbs and I find that they re-seed next year often. I have a chilli plant with immature chillis going around for the third year in the same pot. Living in Melbourne of course, with our abundance of Asian grocery stores, (same in Sydney I would think) fresh coriander is readily available all year round, but there's nothing like it (and Thai basil) picked a minute before you use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stewf, I'll try that - they are at seed stage right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that coriander lasts longer before going to seed if it's grown in partial shade--I found this out by accident because my garden is a very shady one, and the sunniest parts are reserved for tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment