Skip to main content

6am.

The paper hit the drive. The dog doesn't even fetch a slipper let alone a newspaper so I opened the front door, greeted the day and picked up the newspaper.

Every year there's a morning like this. Something in the air. It smelled like summer. The noise was different, a kind of early morning hum, not like winter's cold, wet silence. And there was a welcome warmth.

*

The kettle has boiled and tea is brewing in the blue and white teapot, Duchess 'Genevieve' bone china, made in England. Milk jug and sugar bowl, Carrigaline traditional blue ring design, made in Ireland. Cups and saucers, Bristile vitrified china, made in Australia.

Front page of the newspaper - the fifth cricket test between England and Australia is lead story. A slow news day is kind of a relief in these times, isn't it?

*

I turned the page, poured milk into the cups, picked up the teapot and poured the tea ... into the milk jug.

*

I do like mornings.

Comments

  1. Ha. My eldest leaves for school at 6:50am and the paper isn't even here by then! I do coffee rather than tea in the morning but remember the day I did everything BUT put the coffee in. Nice hot water. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a different feel to my mornings, too.

    It's quiet - crisp. The chirping birds have packed bags and are ready to make their way South.

    Fall is here. The leaves are turning. Gone are sweltering days.

    It's my turn to curl up.

    Enjoy the beach. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen, I used to drink serious coffee in the morning but these days it's tea (usually in the cup!).

    Food Whore, some of those birds have already arrived here, they're unpacking as we speak. I'm looking forward to a long hot summer while you hibernate!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment