Skip to main content

Things you get around to ...

It's funny how you earnestly discuss your plans for years and then, one day, things just ... happen.

No, I'm not talking about having babies, I'm talking about buying a muffin tin.

We kept saying to each other, Oh, we must get a muffin tin, in that vague manner which is partner code for Instead of going out to coffee shops all the time and paying five dollars for a muffin, we probably should bake our own muffins. But not yet!

Then, about ten weeks ago, there it was in the supermarket, a beautiful non-stick muffin tin with spaces for six extra-large muffins.

Since then, T. has baked probably several thousand muffins which may be a slight exaggeration. (I do a lot of the cooking, but T. bakes. Being of Scottish descent, baking is her sixth sense. You should see the kitchen cupboards. There's about seven different kinds of flour in there yet every time I go to the shops, T. asks Can you get some more flour?)

She's done everything from choc-chip to plain sugar-dusted to pumpkin to cheese. You can put anything in muffins. Within reason. And they freeze well.

Banana and Pecan (or Walnut) Muffins.

Mash three ripe bananas. Add two eggs, one and one quarter cups milk and three-quarters of a cup of oil.

In another bowl, mix two cups of self-raising flour, one cup of plain flour, one teaspoon of baking powder, a cup of brown sugar, a teaspoon of cinnamon and a cup of chopped pecans. Or walnuts.

Introduce the wet ingredients to the dry. T.'s tip is to just fold them through without heavy beating - for a lighter texture.

Have your oven pre-heated to 180 celsius and twenty-five minutes later the heavenly smell of fresh-baked muffins will greet your nose. So put the kettle on and we'll have a coffee break.

I think we just sent several local cafes to the wall.

Comments

  1. Ahhh, now I understand why I bake as well. I'm of Scottish descent - my late grandmother could bake for Scotland!!

    I love making muffins too. I will try this recipe out.

    My favourite muffin recipe has dates, coffee and walnuts in it. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment