Skip to main content

Year of the Rooster. What a fine bird.

That's my year. I'm a rooster, according to Chinese astrology.

Remember those books that were popular in the eighties combining your Chinese and western astrology characteristics?

I'm an Aries, so that means as well as my feisty, obstinate, egotistical and self-absorbed rooster traits, I'm also hot-headed, selfish, quick-tempered and impatient. Any bad points?

I don't know how I can live with myself.

Now. Dinner.

How can you not have chicken on Chinese New Year when it's Year of the Rooster?

In one pan I seared two chicken fillets in a dash of peanut oil and just a few drops of Thai fish sauce and sesame oil; then I removed them to a warm oven and sizzled strips of green and red pepper with raw cashews and onion rings in the same pan, adding the merest dash of soy to take up the flavours and keep the vegetables moist. Basmati rice in a pot to the boil, lower to simmer, ready in five minutes.

Rice on the plate, vegetables over the rice, chicken fillet on top. Sprinkle with dried onion flakes and sesame seeds.

You have to use a knife and fork for the chicken fillet. Not very chinese. Or you could slice it into bite-sized pieces. I didn't, I just slapped it on the vegetables.

Impatient.

And don't argue with me. Or I'll throw dinner to the dogs.



Comments