Skip to main content

Day of the Triffids.

I was standing there wondering whether to illegally water the lawn (water restrictions are in force) when I noticed a huge tendril curling over the geranium/pelargonium (whatever, crimson flowers) hedge bordering the vegetable garden.

Oh. My. God. Over there by the garden shed, another tendril, creeping over the garden gate. Yet another snaking up the paling fence at the bottom of the garden.

The pumpkin has turned feral, if not actually science fictional. I thought I'd leave it be, but if it starts taking over the suburb and stopping traffic, etc, then I might have to take action.

And another thing. How many vines are there? Because beneath all that greenery, there seems to be several different varieties of pumpkin growing.

I poked about underneath the canopy checking out the different pumpkins, and way down low, on a tomato bush that was almost completely overshadowed by pumpkin leaves, was a vine containing a dozen perfectly formed, bright red cherry tomatoes. The first to ripen this summer.

How does that work? Everyone is saying the lack of sun has been the reason for this season's tomato failures, but these ones were completely out of any direct sunlight. I give up. I'm a 'whatever' gardener. It's easier that way.

By the way, I didn't illegally water the lawn. Oh, I did intend to. It's just that I co-incidentally caught the forecast for the next few days in the meantime - rain.

Comments